On OpenVPN (Client) and the RT-N66u

I have been on the search for a router capable of being a VPN client for the house.  After trying to connect with my old (and reliable) WRT54GL running tomato, I found I was only getting 1-2MB/s when connected through the VPN.  Not anywhere close to what I am looking for...

After a lot of research, I settled on the Asus RT-N66u, because it is able to handle an aftermarket firmware (Tomato), and it has the fastest CPU I could find (600MHz).  I could not find anyone else on the net trying to do what I am doing, so this was a bit of a shot in the dark.

Well, it turns out that with my VPN service, using OpenVPN as a client, I am able to get about 12MB/s, of the normal 27.  =/  I'm not crazy about that as a benchmark, as I am able to get line rate with my mac (as a client).  I guess this is just a case of not having enough horsepower.

So there you have it, the DarkKnight can do about 12 Megs as an OpenVPN client.  I wish someone else had tested this before I bought mine.  :)  Now off to explore if the Raspberry Pi can handle this load...

Comments

Scooter2765 said…
Hi...I just did this today before reading your post and got about 11 Megs... My PC as a client gets almost 60 Megs. I too was shocked as everyone was saying how great the Dark Night is? Seems to me a 600Mhz cpu is really no slouch but it's not doing well here. Did you ever find another solution I am beginning my search now.
Matt said…
I ended up running OpenVPN on the client I needed it on for the time being. There is a promising box coming that might work well for this, here's a link :http://utilite-computer.com/web/home

It runs Ubuntu or Android and has 2 network ports and an ARM A9. I'll probably give that a try.

Popular Posts